11.21.2016

3 Creative Ways to Get Some Words Written (+ a Vlog)

Here are some fun, creative ways to get words written for NaNoWriMo.  I think partly I'm writing this post for myself because I am incredibly behind.


1. Word Crawls.


Want to go on an epic adventure while you write?  Try a word crawl! (I'm pretty sure I just sounded like a commercial.)  These things are a blast.  They are reminiscent of a choose-your-own-adventure book, but the amount of words you write in a certain amount of time dictates what happens next.

Some cool Fandom-related word Crawls...







2. The Apples to Apples creative writing game.


This is a game Katie Grace, her sister, Laura, and my sister, Mickayla Jansen invented.  Basically, you play Apples to Apples normally, except the winning player keeps the red card, not the green card.  At the end of the game, everyone has to write a short story with all of the items on the red card in the story.

3. Act out a Scene.


When you're home alone (unless you want an audience), act out the next scene in your WIP, video it, and write what happens as you play it back.  This is similar to what Hope Pennington does when she writes.

Vlog


Savannah Grace from Scattered Scribblings tagged me to do the Q and A tag, so I decided I would try my hand at vlogging.  So get ready for awkwardness, and my strange adoption of some sort of accent that I don't actually have, and watch me answer Savannah's questions!


Music Credits:
Call to Adventure by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) 
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

What creative ways do you write?  I would love to hear your writing methods!


8 comments:

  1. Cool vlog, you did a really good job for your first vlog! I would also love to be an extra in a Marvel movie! and thoughts ways to get words written sound very interesting. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you sound a little like Nadine in this vlog :) I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who are you acting as in the play you mentioned?? (And great job on your vlog...they ARE awkward to record, aren't they? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played Mrs. Macready (the mean housekeeper) and Mr. Beaver (the original actor bailed on us and we didn't have enough guys, so I was cast). Thank you so much! I agree, super awkward.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh #2 is absolute genius!! I'm going to have to do that sometime!
    Even though I'm not doing NaNoWriMo, this was a super helpful, great post!

    Elizabeth
    http://whimsicalthoughtss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please keep everything clean and always be respectful of others. :) If your comment has inappropriate content, it will be deleted.