1. Fantasize about a book idea.Sometimes this is by coming up with bits of dialogue, or forming a sort of movie trailer in my mind.
2. Outline.This is a brief plan of what is going to happen. For example:
-MC goes to the store.
- Comes home and realizes she forgot to buy milk.
- Goes back to store.
-Money gets stolen.
There is nothing eloquent or rigid about this at all.
a.k.a. A Huge Mess of stuff I won't end up keeping.
3. Write the first draft.
4. Scream over said mess.WHAT IS THIS STORY ABOUT? WHAT IS HAPPENING?
5. Read it.I cringe the entire time.
6. Cry.WHY IS THIS BOOK SO TERRIBLE?
7. Rewrite everything.Because books are always rewritten.
8. Read it...again.What changes did I make again? Ohhhhhh........................................right.
9. Hand it to beta readers.This is terrifying and necessary.
10. Rewrite...again.Major character changes. Major plot changes. Major changes to everything.
11. Read it over again.What is this book about for the 3,457,348,024th time?
12. Line edits!
Is it really all coming together?!