3.13.2017

Camp NaNoWriMo April, 2017 | A Hamlet retelling set in space. (How is it almost April?)

Sorry I took a short, unannounced hiatus.  Suddenly it was Monday and I had no post ideas.  And now, apparently, we're almost 4 months into 2017.  *screams*  What is eating this year?  I must kill it and then burn its corpse.

BUT, the 4th month also means Camp NaNoWriMo (a.k.a. insanity and lots of fun).  So...here's all about my April novel.
i attempted to hand letter the title after
watching a youtube video about it.

What is this story about, you ask?

~A Hamlet retelling set in space.~


This story was born in English class while my teacher was reading Hamlet aloud to us.  I fell in love with the story from the moment I began reading it.  And so long story short, I'm writing a retelling of it.  The blog has gone through some changes.  Originally, it was going to be about a spaceship where everyone is a ghost but the dead King Hamlet figure, but that idea got trashed.  We're just going to ignore the fact that I did terrible on the Hamlet short response test.

~What No One Remembers is the backstory of 2 of the characters.~

And still, no one is going to read it...

So here's the "official" description of The Space Beyond Sanity.  (Warning: I'm the worst at descriptions.)

The crew of the SS Elias has problems. They nearly died, their captain abandoned them, and now there's a ghost haunting the ship and a possible murder.


I'm also in a lovely cabin with Savannah, Micaiah, and Bellethiel.

Are you doing Camp NaNoWriMo?  What is your April WIP?  I would love to hear about them!


15 comments:

  1. Duuuude. A Hamlet retelling? In space??? KUDOS FOR YOU FOR THE UNIQUE IDEA!! *applauds* That's amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! The idea idea just hit me when we started reading Hamlet aloud in class. :D

      Delete
  2. I love your title - A Space Beyond Sanity just seems to fit the [incredibly creative] idea of Hamlet in space. Your picture is gorgeous too!

    I'm doing Camp too, but I'm still out sorting a cabin. (Random assignment hasn't gone so well in the past, so I'm trying to join up with some people I kinda know - as in, I've followed their blogs when I created my blog a week ago?? 'Kinda' might be a bit too strong...)

    It's great that you're in a cabin with (I assume) people you're friends with in the Christian-teenage-writer blogosphere! That will be so encouraging! (Which is excellent, because the more you write, the sooner we can read your space Hamlet retelling) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jem! The title is actually a play on words, since the story takes place in space. lol.

      I hope you find a cabin! I've had wonderful cabins in the past, but I've never done it by random assignment.

      I don't know all of the people in my cabin, but I hope to get to know them better!

      Delete
  3. I've never read Hamlet, but now I want to... So excited about being in your cabin! =)

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it. :D It's Shakespeare, so approach with caution, but I think it's pretty clean? Definitely cleaner than Romeo and Juliet. I'm excited to be in your cabin as well!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like such a cool idea! AND THE COVER. It's beautiful! The gold lettering and the galaxy... ah <3
    jeniquablog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeneca! It was so much fun to make that cover. :D

      Delete
  5. yusss I love Shakespeare retellings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read one, but I like the idea! (Obviously, since I'm writing about it).

      Delete
  6. Ooh! Sounds really cool!! I'm not terribly familiar with Hamlet though...
    Good luck! I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to participate in Camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I enjoyed Hamlet much more than I thought I would. Two months ago, I would never even think to write a retelling of Shakespeare's work. I hated Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet, so I expected to feel the same about Hamlet. But, no. I really enjoyed it.

      You should definitely participate in Camp, even if you don't think you'll be able to write a lot. You can choose your own goal. :)

      Delete
  7. So cool! That's an awesome idea! AND, OH MY GOODNESS.... THE COVER. ITS BEAUTIFUL. Also, your title is really amazing! I totally want to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harley! I'm super excited to write it! I hope one day you get to read it!

      Delete
  8. I'm doing Camp this year. My story is a sequel to my space opera novella, Hand of Steel. In the sequel, my MC is blackmailed into working with a group of bounty hunters to hunt down a murderous pirate.
    I've already got a cabin set up, but I'm really tempted to join Camp under another name so I can be in two cabins because I think a bunch of my friends are in different cabins.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please keep everything clean and always be respectful of others. :) If your comment has inappropriate content, it will be deleted.