12.10.2015

Beautiful Books #3 - Editing The Clockshifter

I did the first Beautiful Books link - up hosted by Cait and Sky - before NaNoWriMo began about To Be Awake.  I haven't yet finished To Be Awake so I will be doing this on The Clockshifter.  This is so very close to being done!  It has a couple of last minute touches and then it will go out to my awesome beta readers!  (If you would like to be a beta reader, you still have today to sign up!)


  1. Comparative title time: what published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men.)
Hmm...comparing titles.  I do love comparing titles.  :D  I like to say that it is Sleeping Beauty meets Doctor Who.  There are also other comparitive titles, but these are the main ones.


  1. Do you enjoy working with deadlines and pressure (aka NaNoWriMo)? Or do you prefer to write-as-you’re-inspired?
Deadlines cause me to have inspiration, particularly NaNoWriMo.

  1. How do you go about editing? Give us an insight into your editing process.
First, I read through it, and fix some little things to make it bearable for me to do anything major too.  Second, I rewrite every single sentence until it is even more perfect.  Third, I edit some more, doing more line edits and things, and fixing any flaws I see.  Fourth, once I have perfected as much as I can, I will send it to beta readers.  

That's basically what I have figured out after a year of trial and error.  :)

  1. What aspect of your story needs the most work?
My characters definitely need the most work.  I feel like they have little to no personality.  It could just be me, though, because I'm a total perfectionist when I come to my writing.

  1. What aspect of your story did you love the most?
:D The wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.  (Though in my book this term is rephrased as "time travel stuff.")

  1. Give us a brief run down on your main characters and how you think they turned out. Do you think they’ll need changes in edits?
Lyric - An introvert who notices everything and is also secretly very opinionated.  When she gets used to being around someone she becomes less shy.

Finn - More extroverted.  Protective of Lyric.

Yes.  They need help...especially Finn.

  1. What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers?
I'm going to change this question a bit since I already answered this above.  After beta readers, I am planning on making suggested changes, doing a major line edit, and then start querying publishers and literary agents!

  1. Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
Querying.  At one point I considered self publishing this book, but I realized it wasn't near ready and it has always been my dream to have it traditionally published.  I highly respect Indie authors, however.

  1. Share a favorite snippet!
        This was it, the very last time my Learning Chip would be updated. I lowered myself down into a lounge chair in the center of the blindingly white room.  A florescent light bulb on the ceiling silhouetted the woman with perfect blonde hair I had always remembered.
"Are you comfortable?" she said. Butter. Her voice still reminded me of butter.
"Yes, ma'am." As much as one could be in that room. It had always made me nervous. I readjusted my position.  The paper covering crinkled.
"This may pinch for a second.” She held up a thin black wire. "Turn your head for me."
I turned away from her and pulled back my dull brown hair, revealing a small square bald spot filled with a black chip. She connected a wire to it, a small pinch ensued. I bit my lip.
"All done, Miss Valvo.” She took the sleek white headphones from the table next to my chair and handed them to me. “What music would you like to listen to?"
"Soft, calming music, I think." I definitely needed something to calm myself down.
"Okay, put these on." She handed me the headphones and flipped a switch on the table.
Sweet music filled my ears. I closed my eyes.
"A little review," the smooth voice of a man said. "Who is the ruler of the Confederation of Facta-est?"
"Vladimir Fang," I said. My tense muscles began to relax.  My body tingled. Then all feeling disappeared.  When this had first happened to me, I freaked out; but that was ten years ago. 
The blurry image of a man appeared in the darkness of my mind.  No matter how hard I strained my eyes, they would not focus on them.  Probably a flaw in the computer system.
“How many Units are there?” 
Did he have to ask such easy questions? That came in an Update about eight years ago!  I kept my thoughts to myself. Arguing would do no good.  “Seven.”
“Good. Now on to something a bit harder,” the computerized man said.
Finally.

  1. What are your writing goals and plans for 2016?
-Finish first draft of To Be Awake.
-Start querying publishers and agents.  (A dream would be to sign with one.)
-Attend Realm Makers.
-Start editing To Be Awake.
-Start the first draft of another book.

What are your 2016 writing plans?  How is your current writing/editing going?  Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I plan to write a five book dystopian series! My current editing is awesome as is my project! Glad yours is going well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your dystopian series! I hope to read it someday. :)

      Delete
  2. The more I read about this book, the more fantastic it sounds! Lyric literally sounds so much like me, it's insane.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still needs a lot more editing (I am actually rewriting some of it again and changing things my beta readers have pointed out to me). I certainly hope it turns out awesome!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please keep everything clean and always be respectful of others. :) If your comment has inappropriate content, it will be deleted.