4.02.2018

How to Survive April Camp NaNoWriMo 2018

April is actually the worst month for Camp NaNoWriMo.  The school year ends in just a few weeks and teachers like to pile on more work (and essays ugh).  So...here's how to survive Camp this year.

1. Set a manageable goal.


This seems very straightforward, but it's actually hard to do.  I really want to bang out an entire novel, but that's very unrealistic and overwhelming to me.  That's why I set a lower goal that I'm pretty sure to complete.  (Hey, a little progress is still progress!)

2. Join an epic cabin!


Find people who will inspire and motivate you.  Find the people who will word sprint with you at those times when you really don't feel like writing.

3. Write.  Every.  Day.


Seems like a no-brainer, but some nights you will just want to go to bed.  Tell yourself that you can't go to sleep until you write your allotted number of words for today.  Remember that once you let it slide by once, it's easier to let days go by where you don't touch your WIP.  Discipline is key.

4. Save a little time to refuel.


How to you fill yourself up creatively?  Save some time for reading, watching a movie (don't get too sucked into electronics, though), and reading your Bible.  Don't completely burn yourself out!


5. Sometimes the words will flow (and actually sound decent!) and sometimes they won't.


During those times when you know you're using "said" way too much and start every single paragraph with your MC's name, KEEP GOING.  You can fix that later.  That's what editing is for.

6. Remember that Camp NaNoWriMo isn't the most important thing in the world.


(Forget this tip if you have an actual deadline.  Then it is the most important thing.). I have to remember this too.  Especially if you're in school, keep Camp NaNoWriMo as a higher priority extracurricular activity.  If school is super demanding right now, consider lowering your goal.  There's no shame in lowering your goal if you have a lot of very important things happening.  Don't kill yourself over something that's supposed to be fun/productive.  (Writing probably isn't your job yet, even though you're supposed to consider it your job.  Sometimes it's okay to treat it like a hobby.)

Do you have any tips to surviving Camp?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. School was the reason I didn't attend Camp last April, so I can understand the madness.

    And I totally agree with all of these tips. They're also helpful if you happen to be balancing work with it as well (which is what happened last July for me!)

    Awesome post!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is crazy, isn't it? :)

      Yes, they are. :) Good luck in your writing endeavors!

      Delete
  2. Setting realistic goals. HA HA HA. If only I was capable of such simple feats. XD

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yeah...setting realistic goals is a little unrealistic, isn't it? ;)

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with Emily above - the whole setting realistic goals is my stumbling block because surely if you have enough will power you can do everything, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. All of these points are spot on. Thanks for sharing! This is my first Camp, and while I've set a completely manageable goal (and am loving this more relaxed version of NaNo), I'm still finding it difficult to pump out the words. But you are so right! This is a first draft and not meant to be perfect. I already know a lot of what I've written will probably NEVER see the light of day, and I'm okay with that. I'm just happy I'm actually WRITING.

    Again, thank you for sharing this! Much needed at this time. :]

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please keep everything clean and always be respectful of others. :) If your comment has inappropriate content, it will be deleted.