6.30.2015

Your Story is Interesting, Trust Me

Almost everyone assumes their life is boring. They didn't go on an epic there and back again adventure; they didn't solve a mystery; they haven't ridden dragons.  Something I have just now learned (seriously like 5 minutes before I began writing this post) is that everyone's story is interesting and exciting in its own way.

Recently I have had a few opportunities to just listen to people share things about their life.  One lady was in a band and met a whole bunch of famous people.  Another was in the military during the Cold War.  Someone attempted to ride a horse really far.  My grandfather rode dirt bikes and claims to have gone to school with a ton of famous people (though everyone knows he is joking). :D  If you take the time to listen, you will discover that there are jewels to be found in the stories of others.

Sometimes I think my life is pretty boring.  Recently I found and read my many journals from my childhood.  I find myself so interested reading what really went through my head.  It was so much more than "and we ate dinner".  That is history.  That a moment in time captured onto a piece of parchment.

Not only can we learn about the world and other people my simply listening, but we can also use these to inspire our stories.  If you write historical fiction, what better way to learn about the time period than hearing about it from someone who lived then?

Okay, enough of my rambling.  I just felt like I needed to talk about my revelation.  :)  So remember, listen to people.

Tally ho!  Cheery bye!  Until we next meet!
-Alea Harper


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts! Please keep everything clean and always be respectful of others. :) If your comment has inappropriate content, it will be deleted.