Reading has really helped me, in more ways than chasing away boredom (which it does nicely). I have loved to read for many years and I consider it a privilege whenever I find a book that I a.)haven't read or b.) looks interesting.
1. Reading has helped me become very observant. Now, I am naturally observant, but I think that reading has helped me sharpen those skills. I understand what I observe better.
2. Reading has helped my writing. This is actually one of the greatest benefits of reading! I know what good writing looks like and I use it as a guide for how to write.
3. Reading has helped my vocabulary. Oh, this is so true! My vocabulary is huge from reading. Need I say more?
4. Reading has helped my spelling. When I see a correctly spelled word on the page of a book (or on my Kindle ;) ), I will usually remember it, or at least that it looks right. Because of that, I know how to spell it the next time I write it. Unless I blank...
5. Reading has helped my grammar. Now, I'm not saying that my grammar is perfect, but because of reading books (where the grammar is correct...most of the time), I just get the feel for proper grammar.
6. Reading has helped my creativity. Wow. It is amazing how each book expands the possibilities in my mind! For example, I recently read Heartless by Anne Elisabeth Stengl (you can read my review by clicking here). The dragons in the book were so different then I have ever imagined! Now, when I think of dragons, one more possibility of what they could be like is in my mind.
7. Reading has encouraged me. Now, this is usually if it is a Christian book, but I mostly read Christian books. :) Characters that shine for Jesus just inspire me! I can't describe it...it is just encouraging.
8. Reading has helped me experience so many different things. I feel like I have lived many other lives just by reading! When I read, I just picture what is happening in my mind, just like watching a movie. The words lift off of the page! I found a picture on the Internet that describes this, but due to copyright, I am not going to post it. :(
Well, I am sure that there are many, many more ways that reading has helped me, but this is all that I can think of. ;) Tomorrow, I will be posting a list of my favorite books!