8.07.2014

Story Snippet- "Ice Eyes" Part 2

Here is just a little snippet from Ice Eyes.  If you haven't read part one, read it here: Ice Eyes Part 1.  Again, this is just a first draft and it will probably sometime be edited, so please excuse any awkwardness and/or grammar/spelling issues that have been overlooked in just a micro (also known as "line") edit.  If you have absolutely no idea what a line edit is (don't worry if you don't know what it is), just check out my Abbreviations and Definitions page. :) Enjoy!


Chapter 2


BEEP!  BEEP!  BEEP! My alarm clock screamed the next morning.  I groaned an rolled over, looking straight at it.  Inwardly, I threatened to smash it against the wall.  I did this every morning.  I’m not really a morning person.  BEEP!  BEEP!  BEEP!  The alarm was still going off.  Ugh!  That annoying thing.  I guess I should get up.  I turned the alarm off and threw the covers off me, much to my dismay.  Without getting out of bed, I opened my closet doors (with my mind of course) and picked out an outfit.  I turned on the light and got dressed.

“Morning, Dad!” I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Good morning, Eira,” he continued scrambling eggs.  Dad looked up, “I forgot to ask you how your testing was.”  I stiffened.  The doctor person had told us not to tell anyone…but Dad knew I was a half-blood.  Did he know about my abilities?

“Yah.  It was good,” I commented shortly.  I looked down at the table I was sitting at.  Dad set a plate of eggs and toast in front of me and I ate in silence.  Fortunately, Dad didn’t question me further.

Dad drove me to school and I went straight to my special class.  I liked to call it “The Half-blood Society of the Round Table”.  We did sit at a round table...

Once outside the door of the classroom, I paused, taking a deep breath before turning the handle and walking into the room.  The doctor was the only one in the room.  He looked very different, though.  He had lost his lab coat that he had been wearing the day before.  He had replaced the coat with a t-shirt that said, “How did we let the elves die off like the dinosaurs?” 

“Good morning…doctor…umm…” I trailed off, having absolutely no clue what to say.

“Sir Donovan,” he corrected.  Sir?  Was this guy a knight or something?  “I’m not really a doctor.  I’m the founder and president of the Half-blood training and protection division of the government.”  I tilted my head sideways, trying to comprehend what he was saying.  “All half-bloods have special abilities.  My job is to teach you to use them for the benefit of the world.  If one turns evil, the world will be in trouble.”  My eyes went wide at the thought.  Were half-bloods really that powerful?  All we could do was move stuff with our minds…right?

At that moment, the boy with the blue eyes walked into the room.  Sir Donovan welcomed him and offered him a seat at the table.  Both of us accepted the invitation and sat down.  Just before the bell rang, the other two students walked in.  They were also boys.

“Please take your-“ Sir Donovan was interrupted by the rather obnoxious bell.  “…seats, gentlemen,” he finished.  Much to my surprise, the two boys obeyed and sat down.  “Now that you are all aware that you are half-bloods, I need to educate you on how powerful you truly are.  But first, are there any questions?” 

The boy with the rainbow eyes spoke up first, “Can only half-bloods move things with their mind, or can elves do that also?”  Sir Donovan seemed pleased at the young man’s question.

“Only half-bloods.”

“Why only people like us?” I asked.  Sir Donovan seemed to ponder this for a moment.

“I don’t know.  Are there any more questions?”  No one answered, so Sir Donovan started his lecture.  “Half-bloods are the most powerful beings on Earth.  Their only threats…” he paused, “are other half-bloods.  If one stops a bullet from hitting them, the other can force the bullet back towards the one who stopped the bullet.”  Silence filled the room.  No one spoke, no one blinked.  A sense of urgency hung in the air.  A chill crept up my spine.  
 I looked at the person to my right, then my left.  “So…the government is trying to train us so that we are all on their side?”